Me
and Christopher
‘So whaddaya wanna
do today?’ my close friend Christopher asked, hands in pockets, shoulders
slumped. We were in my back yard late on a Friday afternoon in early October,
the school week over and done with.
‘Don’t slouch,’ I
said. ‘I dunno. Nothin’ to do inside. The old man’s home from work.’
‘Well, let’s do
somethin.’ I didn’t come all the way down here just to stand around and play
with myself.’
I liked
Christopher. He was so witty. I wished that I could be him. But I wasn’t, and
so I tried to be like him. That’s why I didn’t like for him to slouch
his shoulders, because I did, and I certainly didn’t want him to be like me.
We were at our
wit’s end. Here we both were, 13-year-old boys—almost grown-ups, and with the
same birthday at that—and we didn’t have a clue as to what we wanted to do. I
still had forty-five minutes until supper time, and all I knew was that I
didn’t want to go back into the house.
‘Hey!’ Christopher
lit up, ‘how about let’s go to Callmeyer’s and get us an ice cream sandwich?’
Christopher never bought anything, so I knew what he meant.
‘Yeah, OK,’ I
said, shoving my hands in my jeans pockets and slouching forward with him.
‘Don’t slouch,’
Christopher admonished. The point was well-taken.
We left by the
gate to the alley and strolled together up the alley to the street at the end,
trash talking each other along the way, saying ugly things about each other’s
mothers.
At the street we
crossed in the middle of the block, turned right and headed for Callmeyer’s
corner store. In so doing we walked past the bar in the middle of the block at
the alley, its door open, the odor of stale beer and the sounds of bottle
clinks and blurred voices emanating from it. My old man always stopped off here
on the way home from work for a quick one.
We arrived at the
corner and went into Callmeyer’s store. His store, somewhat dark inside, was
nevertheless a great place for a 13-year-old shoplifter to practice his skill.
The chest freezer with all sorts of frozen goodies was just inside the large
plate-glass window that faced the street, across from the checkout counter. The
store was stocked with all sorts of groceries, medicines, and other items,
including a meat counter at the back. Callmeyer’s wife worked here as well, and
they lived above the store. His store was our neighborhood’s go-to place if you
couldn’t go to a big grocery store. You could shoplift anything you wanted if
you played it right, especially if you had a diversion to distract attention.
Like a partner, like my other best friend Denny. Christopher and I had taken
ice cream sandwiches and candy bars, and I had even stuffed a paperback novel down
the front of my jeans once, zipping up my jacket to cover up the
protruding part.
But the key was to buy something, something cheap, a legal purchase to
fool Mr. or Mrs. Callmeyer, whoever was at the cash register. Besides, you
wouldn’t dare just come in and seem to browse for a while if you were a
teenager, and then leave. That was a dead giveaway that you were shoplifting.
I hated to steal
from Mr. Callmeyer because he had a wicked sense of humor. Under glass on the
counter and next to the cash register were little cards about the size of post
cards, with funny sayings on them. My favorite was
ABCD
puppies?
LMNO
puppies!
OSAR
puppies.
CMPN?
Once it was
spoken, even a 13-year-old boy could understand it. I hated to steal from Mr.
Callmeyer. But I couldn’t help it. It was a thrill. I was addicted.
On this day I
reached into the chest freezer and stuffed an ice cream sandwich up the left
sleeve of my jacket, then got another one to take to the counter. Pretty
sneaky, I thought. I put a quarter and a nickel on the countertop. Mr.
Callmeyer rang up the sale and took out the change from the till. As he put the
change into my open right hand, he said in an even tone, ‘There you are. Now
don’t take anything out of here that you didn’t pay for.’
Uh oh, was he on to
me?
I replied, ‘No sir, I won’t, sir,’ my voice beginning to crack. I put the
change in my jeans pocket, keeping my left arm down at my side, below the
countertop, where the ice cream sandwich was starting to soften inside the
sleeve. Mr. Callmeyer looked at me askance as I walked to the door.
Fortunately, a woman went up to the counter to pay for her items as I walked
out of the store.
Christopher was
waiting for me outside. ‘Hey, did you get anything?’ he asked.
‘Yeah. An ice
cream sandwich, and I bought another one. So when did you leave? You weren’t
there to help me in case he was suspicious. And he was!’
‘Sorry, man. I
didn’t want anything this time.’
I wasn’t
disappointed at all. I ate both of the ice cream sandwiches.
This wasn’t the
first time that Christopher had abandoned me in a tight situation, and it
probably wouldn’t be the last. We headed up the next two blocks to our junior
high school to see if there was any action on the ball field or in the school
yard, until it was time for me to go home for supper.
The next week I
was shooting baskets at my elementary school playground. The backboard was
attached to a chain link fence, and below it was a concrete wall about six feet
high with a long row of connected benches right under the basket and extending
all the way down the wall to the other end of the school yard, the benches just
wide enough to sit on. You had to be careful doing layups or you would bang
your knee on the bench back. Christopher was sitting on the bench off to the
side, watching me shoot. I wasn’t very good and neither was he, but I was
getting better each time I brought my basketball over here to shoot. I might
have made three of every ten shots, and these were just from the free throw
line.
Just then Gary
Youngblood came walking alone down the sidewalk outside the school yard and saw
me shooting. Oh shit, I thought, Gary was one of the neighborhood toughs,
and borderline crazy. A loose cannon. I hoped he would pass on by.
No such luck. He
came into the school yard. I hoped he was coming in just for a sip from the
drinking fountain and then would pass on. He did get a drink, but then he
ambled over to where I was shooting baskets. I had a bad feeling about this.
Gary was thin and
wiry, about five feet seven, freckled of face with a head topped by wispy long
blond hair that despite being gelled back into a pompadour still worked loose
and floated in a breeze. He was sixteen years old and ran with the local teen
hoods. If they had a slate of officers, he would be vice-president. Yes, there
was one worse than he was.
‘Hey,’ he said.
‘What’s up?’
‘Nothing much.
Just shooting hoops.’
‘Lemme see the
ball,’ he said. ‘I wanna take a few shots.’
‘OK,’ I said, and
I passed him the ball, maybe a little too hard, because after he caught it he
shot me a look that made my stomach flop.
‘Let’s play
HORSE,’ he said, and he took his first shot, which bounced off the front edge
of the rim.
I followed with a
layup, being careful not to trip on the bench below. I made the shot. Gary
didn’t. H for Gary. I then shot from an angle, banking it off the backboard.
The ball went through. I said, ‘Gotta use the backboard.’
Gary made the shot
from the same angle, all net without the backboard.
‘That wasn’t a
bank shot,’ I said.
‘Shut up. I made
the shot, didn’t I?’
I knew I had
better not argue, so I said nothing. We continued the game, with me racking up
HOR and Gary at HORS before the final shot. For my last shot I stood right
under the basket, off to the right side, and banked the ball in. Gary stood in the
same spot and shot off the backboard, but he did it too soft, and it hit the
side of the rim at the backboard.
‘HORSE!’ I
shouted. ‘I win!’
I guess I
celebrated a little too enthusiastically, because Gary started after me,
shouting ‘You son of a bitch!’ and other profanities. I backpedaled all the way
across the yard, pleading with him to cool off. He backed me up to the railing
around the long grate-covered window well below, which ran the entire length of
the school building. I leaned away from him over the top railing, like a boxer
on the ropes.
Gary feinted a
slap to my face. I flinched and raised my left hand to ward off the blow, and
he landed a blow to my mid-section. I doubled up, clutching my stomach, and he
slapped me hard on my left cheek. I went down to the ground.
‘God, Gary,’ I
whined.
‘Get up, you
little fart! Think you’re better’n me, huh?’ He kicked at my side. ‘You
cocksucker, you smartass bastard! You little chicken shit!’ punctuating each
phrase with a sharp kick. Each kick sent waves of pain throughout my body, but
I stayed down. Getting up or mouthing off back to him surely would have been a fatal
mistake.
‘Goddamn
sonofabitch!’ he finished. ‘You’ll know better next time, won’t you? Don’t give
me that shit again. Maybe when you grow up you’ll back up what you say, you
little baby.’ These last words he sneered, which made the hurt worse, but I
still said nothing. He spit at me to punctuate his contempt. And off he walked,
tugging up his collar and combing back his long, wispy, wild hair, which
floated in the breeze as if under water as he strolled off cockily.
As I raised myself
up, I noticed Christopher standing beside me. ‘Where the hell were you?’ I
whined.
‘Off getting a
drink of water. Why? What happened? Did I miss something?’ He had to have been
teasing me.
‘I hate Gary
Youngblood,’ I whimpered.
‘Yeah, he’s a
creep.’
‘Worse than a
creep. A jerk.’
‘A slimeball.’
‘A jackass.’
‘An asshole.’
‘Yeah.’ I was
beginning to feel better already.
‘Some guys don’t
deserve to live,’ Christopher added.
‘Gary doesn’t.’ I
agreed.
‘He does nothing
but cause trouble for everybody else.’
‘Yeah.’
‘The world would
be better off without people like him,’ he intoned solemnly.
‘Sure,’ I agreed.
‘He should never have been born. Then the world would be a better place to
live.’
‘When has he ever
done anything good?’ Christopher asked.
‘Never!’ It was a
revelation.
‘When will he ever
do anything good?’ Christopher was beginning to sound like a Baptist
preacher. He pounded his fist into his palm to emphasize his question.
‘Never!’ I
responded.
‘Gary doesn’t
deserve to live, the bastard.’
‘Right!’ Something
welled up inside me.
‘Gary deserves to
die, that’s what he deserves,’ he stated, much more solemnly now.
‘Yeah, right,’ I
responded, tentatively. I was unsure of the direction in which the conversation
was headed, but the road was attracting me nevertheless.
‘He should die.
Then we’d all be better off.’
‘Yeah,’ I said.
‘Assassinate him. Somebody should. Then we’d all be better off. Too bad.’
Christopher looked
at me, eyebrows arched. ‘Too bad what? Too bad nobody will kill him?’
‘Sure. I wouldn’t
cry if he got killed. But who would do it, and how, and why?’
Christopher locked
his eyes onto mine. ‘It could be done, and nobody’d have to find out.’
I considered this
for a few seconds, its import working slowly on my consciousness, then on my
conscience. My heart began to beat faster. ‘Christopher,’ I said, ‘do you know
what you’re saying?’
‘Damn right I do!
Guys like Gary don’t deserve to live! He’s always pushing, always shoving,
always slapping little guys around, just to see them cry and bleed. The only
thing that makes him smile is pain. We don’t need extra pain, do we? Don’t you
have enough of it at home? Well, don’t you?’
I hesitated.
‘Don’t you?’
I sighed. ‘Yeah.’
It was painful just to admit it.
‘Well, who needs
Gary Youngblood? The streets outside your house ain’t safe with him around.
Who’s gonna miss him when he’s gone?’
‘Hell, we all
will,’ I said. ‘We won’t have anybody to kick us around anymore.’ I laughed,
which was a bad idea, as the pain in my ribs protested.
‘Well, then. All
we have to do now is to figure out how to do it.’
‘Do what?’
‘You know what,
dipshit. Kill him. You know, kill Gary Youngblood!’
His words thrilled
me. I could feel myself carried away by them. We began to plot ways to kill
him. I suggested we dig a hole in the school yard and poke sharpened sticks
into it and cover it over. Then we would lure him across the yard, calling him
names, vile names, and he would fall into the pit and impale himself. One of
the stakes would gouge an eye, and another would pierce his nuts.
‘Naw,’ Christopher
said, ‘too much could go wrong. When would you dig the hole, and how long would
it take, and how could you keep it a secret until you were ready, and somebody
else might fall in it first. Maybe you would fall in. Then what? You
would gouge your eye and your nuts. Naw, that won’t work.’
‘OK, smart guy,
try this….’ and so I went through a litany of other ways to kill Gary, all of
which met with objections from Christopher. Not that they were any good; I
borrowed them from Roadrunner cartoons, and they didn’t work in the cartoon
universe either.
I suggested that
we knife him in the back. But then, Christopher pointed out, I would have to be
so close to him that if anything went wrong he could beat the shit out of me or
wrest the knife from me and do me in. Finally, annoyed at my lack of
creativity, Christopher suggested we shoot Gary. ‘That would be fast and good.
All we would need is a gun. Is there a gun in your house? You could borrow it
and put it back when you are through with it. Does your old man have one?’
‘Naw, I’ve never
seen him with a gun. I’ve never seen a gun in the house, anywhere, upstairs or
downstairs.’
‘Are you sure?
Didn’t you tell me once that your Grandma has one in her closet?’
‘Oh yeah, I
forgot. It’s a little pistol, maybe a .22 or something like that.’
‘Well, there you
go. So we have a reason to kill Gary, we have a gun. Now all we need is an
opportunity. A place and a time.’
‘So, do you know
his routine? His habits? Times when he would be alone?’’
‘I don’t,’
Christopher said, ‘but you could find out. Aren’t you friends with his
brother?’
I wondered why I
hadn’t thought of that first; of course, I was friends with Denny, his younger brother.
All I had to do was to find out what Gary did, especially at night, and
especially late, late at night, when nobody would be around. I could find that
out from Denny.
‘But wait a
minute, Christopher.’ My eyebrows knit together and awakened to the enormity of
what we were talking about. ‘Isn’t this just make believe? You’re not serious;
we’re not serious about this? Are we?
His face mirrored
mine, knit eyebrows and all. ‘Are you kidding me? Of course we’re serious. Hasn’t
Gary bullied you enough? Hasn’t he bullied other kids enough? Of course we’re
serious.’
And that was that.
I had no counter argument. He was right. Somebody needed to do something about
Gary Youngblood. And nobody else would, we were sure. But I wasn’t sure about
my buddy Christopher and his murderous ideas. I wasn’t sure it had to be us.
Fast forward a few
hours. It was 1:00 AM. Either that or 12:30, because the church bell solemnly
rings just once on the half hour. Never mind, it was time to get up and get
dressed. As I slipped out of bed, very quietly, I became conscious once again
of the cacophony of night noises within the house. Not house noises but rather
human noises, family noises. My room was the corner of an L formed by the other
two bedrooms, the two entrances separated from my room only by folding
accordion-like vinyl sliding doors. Even with the folding doors pulled to, the
music of the night was still loud enough to create insomnia. In my mom and
dad’s bedroom, just outside the door to the right, I heard my old man’s teeth
grinding loudly, constantly, as if he were a seven-year-locust on a summer’s
night. Next to him in bed, my mother laid down a rhythm section of unconscious
moans and groans: ‘Ohhhh. Ohhhh. Moannnnnn.’ In the other bedroom off the other
side of my room, my grandmother snored loudly, adding a bass line to the music
coming from my folks’ bedroom. No wonder I had trouble sleeping at night.
Behind all of the
human noises, I heard the faint, irregular nighttime house sounds, the sounds
that seeded my imagination when I was a child. Now I understood them to be the
sounds of a settling house, but just three or four years ago, they were the
sounds of burglars, monsters, and ghosts. The only thing that was quiet was the
street, just outside my window.
I quickly and
quietly pulled on my pants and my socks and shoes, taking care not to sit on
the bed once I got off it. The squeaking of the springs would be enough to
awaken my grandmother, a light sleeper. I could not afford to wake her tonight.
After putting on
my clothes and my jacket, I reached between the mattress and the box springs
and felt for the cool, hard steel of the pistol. While my grandma was at work
at the department store earlier this evening, I had sneaked into one of her
closets and found the shoebox in which she kept her .22 pistol and box of
bullets. It was a relic of her early years in Kentucky on the farm. Finding the
pistol and the box of bullets under my mattress, my hand recoiled instinctively
as I felt the adrenalin flow in my stomach. My heart began to thud in my chest,
and I shuddered and took in a deep breath. I grabbed the pistol and shoved it
into my right jacket pocket, the bullets in my left jacket pocket. I feared
that if they were together in the same pocket, they might go off spontaneously.
Just then I heard
a whisper outside my window. ‘Hey, you ready?’ It was Christopher, who had been
waiting on the porch until he heard me stirring in my bedroom. Tiptoeing over
to the windowsill, I whispered back, ‘Yeah, I’m ready.’ I kneeled and reached
through for the spring-loaded catches on both sides that kept the screen locked
in place. Slowly, very slowly, holding my breath, I slid the screen up until
the catches passed the last slot. Locking them in place, I hunched over and
slowly stepped through the window opening. Once on the other side, I reached
back in and gently lowered the screen until the catches rested on the bottom
slot. If they had gone all the way down, I would not be able to climb back in
once my task was over. To insure that the screen would not somehow drop all the
way down, I put a twig from the tree in the back yard between the bottom of the
screen and the frame. That should do it, I thought.
Our house and yard
were on a rise slightly higher than our neighbor’s next door to the north and
was set back from the street by a small front yard. Our house had two sets of
steep concrete steps—the ones that led from the sidewalk up to our yard, and the
ones that led from the yard up to our concrete porch. From a perch up on the
porch, you had a commanding view of the street below. The streetlamp across the
street stood tall on its concrete pillar and shone a golden glare around it.
The windows of the flats across the street stared blankly. Christopher and I
slowly descended both sets of steps, hands in jacket pockets. I was startled
when I first felt the pistol in my right pocket. I gripped its barrel, keeping
my finger away from the trigger. Even though it wasn’t loaded yet, I didn’t
want my finger to come anywhere near the trigger.
I listened for
cars coming up or down the street. Thus far everything was going all right. No
one was on the street and all the neighborhood dogs were silent.
We had to walk the
street because if we had chosen to walk the alley behind my house, all the dogs
in the neighborhood would have started to howl and bark. As it was, we were
likely to arouse a dog or two before reaching the end of the block, but we had
to chance it. We had to walk quickly and quietly before a car appeared out of
the gloom up the street. At this time of night there was a good chance that a
cop might be out on patrol, and I couldn’t risk being picked up with a .22
pistol in my jacket pocket.
Damn! The enormity of
that last thought made my heart thump in my chest. Christopher noticed and
asked me what was wrong. ‘What if I get caught even before I get to my spot? My
god, how would I get out of that situation? How could I explain to a cop what I
am doing out after midnight with a gun in my pocket?’ I would already be in
trouble should someone at home wake up and find me missing, but what kind of
trouble would I be in if a cop brought me to the front door at 1:00 AM, or
worse yet, called the house and informed them that I was being held at the
station for a curfew violation and weapons charge?
‘Ain’t gonna
happen, Andy,’ Christopher said. ‘I’ve been out lots of times after midnight.
There’s nothin’ to be scared of.’ He wasn’t exactly right, as he and I had once
done this same thing after midnight and had actually walked at least a mile or
two. When we walked through the park on our way back, still about a mile from
home, I could swear that someone was trailing us, going from tree to tree about
fifty yards behind us. When I had told Christopher this, we quickened our pace
and wound up running out of the park onto the street, where it seemed safer.
That was the first and only time that we walked out of the neighborhood after
midnight.
‘Yeah?’ I asked
dismissively. ‘Remember that night we went to the park?’ He didn’t reply. Gotcha!
As I looked back
down the street, I saw headlights turn a corner two blocks away and come our
way. We were in no man’s land. We were too far away to simply turn around and
flee home but too far from the other side of the street at the end of the
block. We figured that we could make it to the end of the block, though, better
than we could make it back home, since the car was approaching my house from
the south and we were half a block north of it. So we walked briskly, crossed
the street at the north end of the block before the approaching car reached the
intersection at the south end of the block. We ducked into the breezeway
between the Church of God in Christ and the concrete retaining wall that was
the northern boundary of Gary Youngblood’s house, itself sitting high up on a
short hill overlooking the street. The leaves of a half-dozen autumns crunched
under our feet as we crouched against the wall and waited for the car to pass
by. I felt safe in the dark breezeway. We could hear the car approaching,
slowing down, judging by the hissing of the wheels against the damp pavement.
Damn! It was a
police car! But it didn’t stop. I could hear it speed up as it reached the end
of the block, the north corner of the church building, and turned right. That
was a close call.
As I crouched on
my haunches against the wall, I pulled the pistol out of my jacket pocket and
rolled the cylinder out. I loaded it with trembling fingers and snapped the cylinder
shut. ‘Man,’ said Christopher, ‘you’re really gonna do it!’
‘What?’ I
screeched, ‘you’re the one who made me do this!’
‘Yeah, yeah, I
know. I was just admiring your courage. Good boy!’
‘Yeah.’ I
shuddered.
I turned my
attention back to the pistol. Soon Gary Youngblood would come sauntering down
the street from one of his gang friends’ houses. Denny told me that he would
when I asked about his routine some time ago. But I didn’t tell Denny what I
was planning to do. Gary’s friends would probably have been out playing pool at
the pool hall down on Broadway or drinking beer over at someone’s house or
terrorizing people unlucky enough to have been out on the streets so late, or
doing a host of other criminal things. He beat up even on his friends, he
bullied his own brother, he had slapped and pushed me around, and he had even
tried to kill all his family with a butcher knife once. Gary never did anything
good.
Gary had to die.
We waited,
shivering in the cool fall night air. As I crouched in the breezeway lost in my
thoughts, I heard the far-off barking of dogs, mournful sounding at 1:00 AM.
Every five minutes or so, a car rolled slowly by. And every five minutes or so
I went to the edge of the church building and peered around the corner, looking
both ways for signs of Gary Youngblood. Finally, after a long wait, just at the
point that I had started to consider going back, I noticed up the street, in
the next block, an approaching figure. As it moved into the domain of the next
street light, I could see by its demeanor, by its lion’s mane of thin blonde
hair, floating with each step, and I could hear by the clinking of the taps on
the heels of his shoes, that it was Gary. His shape was getting larger now as
he approached, strutting cockily, perhaps a little drunk, smoking a cigarette
without a care in the world. The taps clinked louder now. He was wearing a
black leather motorcycle jacket with studs on it reflecting the streetlight. He
crossed the street and approached the church building. My heart pounded loudly
in my chest as I moved toward the front of the church wall and raised the
pistol to what I guessed was the height of Gary’s head. I slowly extended and
straightened my arm. I could tell by the sound of the taps that he would soon
break the plane of the breezeway. I took a deep breath.
There he was! I
aimed. I heard a voice behind me yell ‘Do it! Do it!’ I pulled the trigger. The
resulting CRACK! surprised me. It was hardly louder than a firecracker. Gary’s
head lurched away and he let out a muffled cry. His knees buckled, and he
stumbled and fell, holding the back of his head with his left hand. The
neighborhood dogs replied to the pistol report. My whole body was on fire with
energy and fear as I walked quickly over to Gary, writhing and moaning on the
pavement. From behind, Christopher urged me on: ‘Pop him a couple more times!’
‘You goddamn son
of a bitch. You deserve to die!’ I said through tears. I took a big breath,
then let it out. His eyes locked on to mine as I put the gun close to his
temple and pulled the trigger twice. CRACK! CRACK! The dogs renewed their
barking. Soon the whole neighborhood would be awake.
I didn’t have time
enough to admire my work. I had to get back home before anyone turned on their
porch light and came out to see what had happened. Sweating, shaking from
nervous energy, I took off down the block walking briskly but avoiding running,
as the noise might cause more barking and maybe someone to come outside. When I
got to the point across the street from my house, I crossed over and climbed
the lower steps two at a time to the front yard, then caught my breath and let
out a sigh. Christopher was right behind me. Then we carefully climbed the
upper steps to the porch. As we got to the porch landing, the front door opened
and my mother stepped out, bundled up in her pink housecoat. Uh-oh, I
thought. Busted. I made sure that the .22 was deep in my right jacket
pocket.
Speaking in a
hushed voice, ‘Where have you been, young man?’ Mom asked, controlling her
anger.
‘Me and
Christopher have just been out walking around and talking. It was his idea,’ I
said, gesturing behind me with my thumb over my shoulder.
‘You and who?’
‘Christopher. He’s
right behind me.’
‘No one’s behind
you.’
‘No, you’re wrong.
He’s right h—’ I said, turning around to show her. She was right; no one else
was here.
‘Right, no one
else is here. And no one else but you is going to be grounded, either.’
I was confused
about Christopher’s whereabouts. What a coward, beating a fast getaway!
Continuing to speak in a hushed voice, I explained to Mom how I left out of my
bedroom window, and promised that I would never do that again.
‘You can bet on
that!’ she said in a hoarse whisper. ‘I am not going to tell your father about
this, but if you ever do this again and I catch you, I will, and he will tan
your hide but good! Now you go back into your room through that window. We’ll
talk about this later.’
‘Yes ma’am,’ I
said, as she went back in through the front door and closed it.
After passing
through the window, I undressed and got into bed under the covers. I was
shaking. When I thought that Mom was completely asleep, I rolled slowly out of
bed and reached to where my clothes were. I took the pistol and box of bullets
out of my jacket pockets and pushed them between the mattress and box springs.
I made sure that I separated them out of the fear that somehow they would come
together and fire off a shot.
Just then I heard
far off a siren wailing, getting louder. Some vehicle stopped up the street and
the siren stopped. I could see the blue and red lights reflecting on the walls
of the brick flats across the street. I wondered if Christopher had made it
back to his place all right.
Come to think of
it, I didn’t know where he lived.
Once back in bed,
I felt the adrenalin fade and then relaxed. Suddenly the enormity of what I had
done came crashing in on my conscience. I had just killed a person! Did Gary
deserve death? Christopher said he did. Christopher put me up to it. He didn’t do
it; I did it. Why did I listen to him? What if we were seen? What if someone
came to their front room window and looked outside to see us walking the street
at 1 a.m.? What if someone across the street saw us climbing my steps? And what
happened to Christopher? Did he just disappear? Mom said no one was with me on
the steps.
I lay in my bed,
reliving the events of the killing. I couldn’t sleep for the images in my
brain. A short time later, after the church bell struck 2:00, I heard a
rustling at my open window. Christopher
was crouching just outside the screen, staring at me. His face broke into a
wicked smile. It frightened me. He smirked, then winked and was gone.
The next morning,
Saturday morning, I got up late, around 8:15, dressed, and walked into the
kitchen for breakfast. The old man had already gone down to the local bakery
and brought back the weekend’s breakfast sweets, a peach cake and two gooey
butter cakes, one plain and one with cherries on top. Yum, my favorites. He had
already gone out to the back yard to work on putting up a concrete block border
for a raised garden. Mom was in the kitchen, at the sink. When I came into the
kitchen scratching my head and yawning, she said, ‘Somebody didn’t get a good
night's sleep.’ I mumbled, ‘Yeah.’
Then she launched
into telling me my punishment, which was to be grounded for two weeks, not to
leave the yard except for school, and to do all the yard work during that time.
‘You’re lucky not to have it worse, young man,’ she said. ‘If this happens again,
your father will decide your punishment, and you don’t want that!’
‘Yes’m,’ I
uttered, and settled into my breakfast of a slice of peach cake, one of gooey
butter cake, and a tall glass of milk. My grandmother had been up since 4:30
AM, as was her custom, and was in the front room knitting and watching morning
television. After breakfast, I sighed heavily and went out back to offer to
help my old man.
He told me to trim
the shrubs. While I was trimming the shrubs, clipping the long whiplike
branches that had served many times in my old man’s hands as punishment on my
backside, Denny came down the alley to the fence and called me over. Speaking
in a hushed voice he said, ‘Did you hear what happened to Gary?’ It surprised
me that his voice was quivering and he seemed to be fighting back tears. He
should have been pleased that Gary was dead.
‘No,’ I lied.
‘What happened?’
He explained being
awakened by the sirens in front of his house sometime after 1:00 AM and by a
knock on the front door. A police officer told him that a body was on the
sidewalk in front of their house, and he asked him if he had heard anything.
Denny was the first one down the steps to the sidewalk to see the grisly scene.
He identified his brother Gary. He was followed by his father and mother, who
screamed. (I don’t think I heard her scream.) ‘It was an assassination. Who
would do such a thing?’ he asked with a trembling voice.
‘Gosh, that’s
horrible, Denny,’ I said, as concerned as I could sound. ‘Maybe one of the
hoods he hangs around with?’
‘I don’t know,
maybe,’ he responded. ‘Did you hear anything last night, even though you live
way down the block?’
‘I heard the
sirens, but I didn’t know how far off they were.’
Denny knit his
eyebrows and said, ‘You told me a few days ago that Gary beat you up. I hated
to hear that. Have you heard if he did that to anyone else? Maybe someone like
that did it.’
My stomach
flopped. Denny was now linking Gary’s beating someone up with a revenge
killing. That was coming too close to me.
‘It’s possible,’ I
said. ‘But do you know how many kids he has beat up?’
‘The only one he
told me about was you, because he knew we were friends. He rubbed it in to me.’
‘What an asshole,’
I said. ‘Sorry!’ I corrected myself. ‘Yeah, he beat me up, but I would never
kill him for that. I couldn’t kill anyone. I don’t even have a gun.’
‘How did you know
that he was shot to death?’ Denny asked. ‘I never told you that.’
I had made a major
mistake. The next words were going to be important. ‘Well, I just remembered
that a few minutes before I heard the sirens I heard some pops, like
firecrackers, far off. I didn’t know what they were, but I guess they were
gunshots?’ I hoped he would buy this explanation.
He did, though he
thought for a second or two. ‘Yeah, they were. There was a lot of blood around
Gary’s head. I don’t know if I can get that out of my mind. The police are
starting an investigation. They are going to go door to door through the
neighborhood, north and south of my house, and interview people. They already
took statements from my family, and they will come back later early next week,
when it’s daytime.’
This news
concerned me. They had started with the Youngblood family, and they would ask
all sorts of trick questions when they went door to door. They would come down
the block to my house.
‘Man, I’m sure
sorry about Gary,’ I said. ‘Hey, I’ve got to help my old man in the yard, so
I’d better get back to it.’
‘OK,’ Denny said.
‘I’ll come by in the afternoon and we can go shoot baskets.’
‘I won’t be able
to come. I’ve been grounded for two weeks. I can’t leave the yard except to go
to school.’
‘Yeah, what’d you
do?’ Denny asked. I had been grounded for six weeks not too many months ago for
not going to the neighborhood show on a Friday night, instead roaming the
streets with Denny. A friend of my Mom’s told her that she had seen me and
another kid going in and out of stores that night, as we had been accustomed to
doing for many weeks. That other kid was Denny. And then I couldn’t go to the
show or anywhere for six weeks. If Mom had known that we were shoplifting, I
probably wouldn’t have been allowed out until I was 21.
‘Something around
the house,’ I lied. ‘Well, I gotta get back to helping the old man. I guess
I’ll see you in two weeks.’
‘Bye,’ Denny said,
and walked back up the alley. My old man didn’t know that I was grounded, so I
had put on an act of offering to help him. I would rather have been anywhere
else.
Later, our mutual
task completed, the old man went back into the house to cool off and change clothes.
He actually thanked me for helping, which was a first. Maybe he wasn’t so bad
after all. Next thing I knew, Christopher was standing right behind me. ‘Hey,
what’s up?’ he said.
‘Whoa, you scared
me, man!’ I said, turning around to see him. He must have crept through the
gate from the alley without making much of a sound.
‘Yeah, sorry about
that,’ he said, ‘about as sorry as you were to Denny.’
‘How did you know
about that?’
‘Oh, I heard some
of your talk as I was coming down the alley.’
‘Well, if you
really must know, I have been out here in the yard helping my old man because
my Mom was waiting for me when I got back home last night. I’m grounded for two
weeks. And where were you last night when I got home?’
‘I didn’t need to
stick around to see you get caught by your Mom, so I skeedaddled.’
‘You came back an
hour later, though.’
‘Yeah, I wanted to
make sure you were all right, safe and sound in your bed.’
‘Thanks a lot for
nothing. I guess you heard Denny tell me about Gary.’
‘I heard some of
it. What did he think about it?’
‘He was actually
upset. I thought he would have been glad that his evil older brother was dead
and gone.’
‘Did he have any
ideas about who would have done it?’
‘Nope, but he did
make me nervous when he suggested that someone Gary beat up might have killed
him.’
‘Why? Why were you
nervous?’
‘Jerkoff! Because
he beat me up! That worried me.’
‘Hmm, that is
something to be nervous about. What else?’
So I relayed the
rest of what Denny told me, about the police making house to house calls to
interview people and find witnesses. ‘He said they started with his family and
would come back to finish their interview next week.’
‘Hmm, I wonder
what his family told them. I wonder what Denny told them. I wonder if Denny
heard the shots.’
‘Speaking of
which, dipshit, why did you run off when I … when I shot Gary?’
‘I was waiting in
the dark to help you in case you missed.’
‘Yeah, right.
Well, I’m starting to really worry about this. I think the cops are pretty
thorough investigating, especially murders. Somehow they are going to find out
who did it.’
‘They would have
to get ideas from witnesses first. Who knows what Denny knows? I bet he didn’t
tell you everything, and I bet he’s going to start thinking about a revenge
killing. And guess who would be a prime suspect for a revenge murder?’
‘Who? Not me. I
told Denny I could never kill anyone. Now I wish I hadn’t done it.’
‘Too late for
that. When he starts to put two and two together, it will add up to you,
Andy. We shouldn’t let that happen.’
‘If it’s going to
happen, it will happen, and then I’ll deal with it. He should know that I
couldn’t do it.’
‘How do you know
that? Don’t you think you should make sure that doesn’t happen?’
‘Yeah, right.
How?’
‘Wellllll….’ He
said, with a twinkle in his eye.
‘What are you
getting at?’ I was afraid of where he was going with that.
‘We can figure out
a way to keep him from concluding it was you and squealing to the cops.’
‘Yeah, how? Kidnap
him?’
‘No, something
more permanent….’
‘What are you
suggesting, Christopher?’
‘Stop him from
talking. Do him in, of course.’
‘What the hell? No
way! No way, man, no way!’
‘OK, then let him
figure it out and squeal to the cops. Then it’s off to the big house for you,
and you know what’ll happen there.’
‘I don’t care! I
can’t do that! Denny’s my friend, my best friend!’
‘And what am I,
chopped liver? I thought I was your best friend.’
‘You both are my
best friends. But I can’t do that to him.’
‘OK, then it’s
bye-bye time, old buddy. See you around. I’m not coming to visit you in the Big
House.’ And he turned to walk away.
‘Wait a minute,
Christopher, don’t walk away. I’m just confused. Help me!’
‘You’ve refused my
advice. I don’t have any other advice. You have to whack him. Period.’
I was worn down by
the argument. I was so afraid of the future, so afraid of the knock on the
door. So afraid to be fingered for doing the right thing for making life better
for everyone in the neighborhood. Christopher had a good idea then, but I
didn’t like this one. But was there anything else to be done to keep me out of
jail? ‘OK, then,’ I said, ‘how do we do it?’
Christopher laid
it all out. Me and Denny were going to go out after midnight and go to the park,
just to show my Mom that she couldn’t keep me in. I protested at first, because
I had been caught by Mom last night, and I shouldn’t do it again so soon. But
Christopher reminded me that the cops were going to start going through the
neighborhood on Monday, and they would take Denny’s statement and trick him
into revealing his suspicions. ‘They’ll do it, and when they ask him who might
have a reason for offing his brother he’ll tell about Gary beating you up. Then
they will be at your door!’
‘OK, OK, I get it.
But how can we set it up?’
Christopher then
revealed the foolproof plan. It just might work, I thought.
On Sunday after we
got home from church, I called Denny and asked him to come down to the fence in
my backyard, as I had a great idea. ‘What is it?’ he asked. ‘I’ll tell you when
you get here,’ I answered.
Around 1:00 Denny
arrived at the fence. ‘So what’s your big idea?’ he asked.
‘OK, you know I’m
grounded for two weeks. I can’t stand having to stay in for two solid weeks and
not get to do stuff, especially do stuff with you. I want to get out, and when
my folks don’t know it. Why don’t you come by after midnight tonight and let’s
go out for a long walk, just to show my folks they can’t keep me in. Let’s go
to the park. I’ve never seen the bear pit on the other side of the park anyway,
and I wanna see it.’
Of course Denny
liked this idea: he was all for thumbing his nose at authority. He would help
me thumb my nose at my parents. ‘It’s a deal!’ he said, and we shook hands on
it. He would be at my bedroom window just after midnight. Then he left, walking
up the alley whistling.
We would take the
same route that I did with Christopher months ago, walking to the nearby park,
the third largest in the city, where somewhere in the middle of the park, away
from all the houses, in the middle of the night, we would do Denny in and hide
his body under a shelter.
I couldn’t believe
that I was all in for this. Whatever Christopher said, I would do. He was
smarter than I was. Was it wrong to do what we had planned? Sure. But the
reward was the thrill if I could get away with it. And doing it would protect
me from the cops. Denny would be silenced. I had to do it.
So it was
arranged: Sunday night—actually Monday morning—at around midnight Denny would
drop by my window, and I would get up and leave through the window, making sure
to hide the pistol, which I would have already loaded with bullets. I would
have to be extra careful this time, making sure not to wake anybody as I left.
I went to bed at 10:30, after the news was over and Mom & Dad went to bed.
The old man had slept in his easy chair the last two hours, all throughout the
news as well. Monday would be another day of work at the brewery, and he would
be up at 5:30 for his cigarette and cup of coffee. He told us that he had
donuts and coffee at work for his breakfast. Nothing at home. So the day would
start with a cloud of cigarette smoke in the kitchen, to which my mother would
add her own cloud of smoke later. She would be up at 6:30 to make my breakfast
before sending me off to school. My grandmother would be up no later than 4:30,
sitting in her own bedroom until the kitchen cleared out and she could get
ready for work at the large department store. My adventure had to be over no
later than 2:30 or 3:00 at the latest.
Shortly after
midnight I heard a noise outside my bedroom window. Expecting Denny, I was
shocked that it was Christopher instead. In a low whisper I said, ‘What the
hell are you doing here? Denny will be here any minute!’
‘Just wanted to
make sure you’re still going to go through with it, little buddy.’ (I hated
that expression, as I wasn’t ‘little’ and we were exactly the same age, to the
day.)
Annoyed, I
whispered a little too loudly, ‘Yes, of course, you little prick!’
‘Ha! Who’s got a
little prick? Ain’t me! Denny is on his way, so make sure you do it. Don’t
chicken out. Bye now!’
As soon as
Christopher was gone, I heard Denny’s footfall on the steps. He was quiet as a
cat, but I still knew it was him. He came up to the window. ‘You ready?’
‘Yeah, I’m ready.’
As before, I raised the screen very slowly until it locked in the notches on
both sides. Then I carefully bent down and stepped out onto the porch. As I
did, the pistol caused my left jacket pocket to brush against the aluminum
frame and make a sound. I hoped that Denny didn’t notice. As well as the rest
of the people in the house.
Once I was out and
had lowered the screen, putting a popsicle stick between the bottom of the
screen and the frame to keep it from lowering and clicking, we were on our way
down the steps and walking quickly up the street on our long trek to the park.
I was growing
increasingly nervous as we walked. Was I going to kill my best friend tonight?
Wasn’t one murder enough? Denny noticed. ‘What’s up with you?’ he said. ‘We’re
going to be fine. We’ll show your old man and old lady they can’t keep you in!’
If he only knew, I thought.
After twenty
minutes of walking and talking, we entered the park. The bear pit was located
near the opposite end of the park, so we had to walk another ten minutes to get
there. I put my hands in my jacket pockets because it was chilly. Doing so, I
felt the pistol in the left pocket, and my hand recoiled as if it had been
bitten by a snake. ‘Are you all right?’ Denny asked.
‘It’s just chills.
It’s kind of cold outside,’ I said. I angled us toward the center of the park,
and we soon approached a large bandstand. I heard a voice behind me say, ‘This
is the place. This’ll do.’ It was Christopher’s voice. I didn’t know that he
had been following us.
‘Let’s go up the
steps and dance and sing as loud as we can!’ I said.
‘Great idea, Andy!
Let’s do it.’
We climbed the
steps and walked to the center of the bandstand and started singing “Does Your
Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight” as loud and silly as we
could, jumping around like monkeys. I felt free, free of parents, free of
restraints, free of worry. ‘Do it now!’ whispered Christopher, standing on the
steps. ‘Now! Now!’ Denny continued to sing and dance as I pulled the pistol
from my left jacket pocket and put it into my right hand. I cocked the hammer. The
click and roll of the barrel caught Denny’s attention. He stopped his dancing
and singing, turned around, and looked at me. He was staring down the barrel of
a .22 pistol, which I was holding in a two-hand grip. We were about six feet
apart. ‘Wha-, wha-, what’s up, Andy?’ he said. ‘Why are you pointing that gun
at me? Is this a joke, or what?’ he pleaded.
‘It’s what,
Denny, it’s what,’ I said.
Suddenly Denny
figured it out. ‘So it was you! You killed Gary, didn’t you? And now you’re
going to—what? Kill me too?’
‘Now! Now!’
Christopher said behind me. ‘I’m sorry, Denny, I’m sorry,’ I said, tears
clouding my eyes. Denny ducked and lunged at me as I pulled the trigger. I
fired twice. Denny fell into me, and we both went to the floor of the
bandstand. He moaned and couldn’t grip my legs. He was hurt, maybe badly. I got
to my feet and backed away from him, Christopher yelling, ‘Finish him! Finish
him!’ I backed away too far and fell down the steps to the ground below.
Getting up I shouted, ‘I’m sorry, Denny! I’m sorry! I’m sorry, Christopher, I’m
sorry!’ And I ran off, leaving Denny on the floor of the bandstand.
‘Get back there
and finish him off!’ Christopher shouted from behind.
‘No! He’s probably
going to die anyway!’ I cried, and continued to run as fast as I could. I had
to get away from there. I had to get home and back to bed.
‘You dipshit,
you’re going to regret this!’ he yelled.
Yes, I had failed.
I knew I was going to regret this for sure.
Epilogue
‘And so you were
arrested the next day?’ Dr. Parker said.
‘No, I was
arrested not long after I made it back home and back to bed, without getting
caught by my parents, by the way. Denny made it back home, too. I don’t know
how he did, bleeding and all, but he did. I never saw him again after that night.
They called the cops and an ambulance. I heard the sirens later. They knocked
on our door about 2:00 AM. Hoo boy, was it a surprise to my mom and dad! Their
golden boy son arrested for murder!’
‘What about
Christopher? What happened to him?’
‘What happened to
him? He was arrested, too, of course. In fact, he’s been sitting here with us
in this office all this time. He’s right over there,’ I said, gesturing to the
corner off to my left.
‘Of course,’ said
Dr. Parker, jotting down something on his notepad.
‘I told you so,’
Christopher said from the corner. ‘Now we’re both locked up in a loony bin
thanks to you, you chicken shit.’
No comments:
Post a Comment