SOME POETRY
1. Religious
MEDITATION
“All deities reside in the human breast.” –
William Blake
Ascend to God?
Why, know you not that He
Knows neither up and down, nor east and west,
Nor time enslaves Him in its bonds, but free
He is of them? Yet they who know Him best
Search not the heavens, nor in Nature find,
Nor hear melodies that skirt the wind
Proclaiming forth His presence to mankind.
Rather, inward turn and inward send
Their searching thoughts, and there approach His throne:
In earthly flesh He builds His heavenly home.
Seek far, seek up, seek out with vain intent—
The presence of the Lord is inward sent;
For all creation sings the heavenly hymn
If God’s throne is set up deep within.
PROOF
“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world
are clearly seen….”
– Romans 1: 20
The foolishness of Christ for now aside,
The evidence of God does still abide
As earnest in my soul, apart from all
That Bible, book, or creed of Man does call.
As stamp impressed upon a lump of clay
When baked does mark the seal to all, that says,
“With this proof I here have deigned to give,
Know that I rule alone, I AM, I live,”
So All-There ruling God, forevermore,
Eternally, impressed His ancient lore
In bibles, yes, but human hearts the more.
A MEDITATION
“. . . the times of
refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.” – Acts 3: 19
In deeping time I turn my fevered mind
To other thoughts – of sparkling cool eternal love –
And wander peaceful paths, where there I find
The meaning of the mystery that moves
The universe, that also stirs my soul.
This quiet beauty, verdant Spring, it proves
In still communion that I, a part, the whole
Do figure in as key piece to a puzzle
(For so we all are key piece, if we behold
It so.) No whipping Master puts a muzzle,
Reined, and ripping at our straining neck-cords,
On our faces, and thus with whimsy dictates
Our every move and all our secret words.
This we rebel, and God Himself this hates.
2. Other Poetry
THE CORPORATE MIDDLE
MANAGER SUBMITS HIS REQUEST TO GOD
To our Universal CEO:
Having come to my attention
That it has come to your attention
That there are areas
That need improvement
In my job here on earth….
In response to your communication
An assessment instrument was employed
To match the goals with the degree
To which my life’s objectives
Have not been reached.
Hereby a presentation is made
With an action plan.
As is known, job performance has been lacking lately.
Falling short of goals, targets not met.
Research is inconclusive—data hard to get—
Yet it appears to me
That failure to achieve goals
Has been mostly unconscious,
Not so much committing as omitting,
Not so much wrongdoing as not doing,
Or undoing.
Staying on track with expectations
Has been the area of fault.
Searching Corporate’s Decalogue,
The Ten Rules of Effective Life Management,
It has been found that failure to apply three Rules—
Three, Five, and Ten—
Is the extent of the fault.
The Action Plan herewith offered,
Forbearance and patience are requested.
Awaiting the favor of a reply—
A Middle Manager.
2. Other Poetry
I HAIKU IN CLASS. DO YOU?
FOUR HAIKU WRITTEN DURING A LINGUISTICS EXAM
Exam No. 1, No. 1
Exam number one--
a gauge with numbers and dials,
measuring knowledge.
Exam No. 1, No. 2
These English students--
squirrels gnawing at their nuts,
busy and intent.
Institutional Envelope
This envelope sleeps,
a casket for a missive
that died on sending.
For My Wife
My mind's gallery:
Your portrait hangs in the hall,
The show's centerpiece.
He has twisted off his mind’s tight gas cap,
Inserted funnel, poured in Final Facts.
He runs near E, he always runs near E.
And always short on cash, a quarter tank
Is all he feels he can afford each “fillup.”
………
His knowledge tank needle falls below E,
As turning the test’s first two paper sheets,
He finds four more. His knowledge tank dries up
When he presses pedal to the floor.
He sputters to a halt, coughs, shudders, and dies.
This trip is shorter than he’d hoped.
READER RESPONSE DAY
IN ENGLISH 101
Silent they sit,
Reading and writing,
Filling out forms,
Responding to writers,
Intent on their tasks—
Improving the efforts
Of wayward wordsmiths.
Busy as beavers,
Acting as experts,
Finding the focus,
Rating the writing,
So all will make A’s.
Was it time well-spent?
Did they do it right?
Though hopes are high—
Theirs, not mine—
They miss the mark,
Too nice to niggle,
Ignorant to instruct.
But when it’s ended,
When it’s said and seen to,
Dealt with and done,
We will have had
Reader Response Day
In College Comp I.
IN THE EYE OF THE LEAF DEVIL
Lost in thought that bright and glorious fall day,
I leave my work and walk across the lawn.
My eyes lift off the ground to see
A strange sight, a serendipity.
They spiral high, they rise –
Three dozen or more dry gum-tree leaves
They swirl, they twirl, they dance aloft on high.
No sound making but the crink
Of brushed-by leaf-skin on leaf-skin.
A column, clear, tracks slow on an errant path
Across the browning autumn lawn.
A vortex, spinning wind and crazy leaves,
Sucking up what loosely lies upon the lawn,
A natural Hoover, carpet cleaning.
Leaves rise crazy high in the post-noon sky
High, high in that clear blue sky.
How high this column climbs I cannot know–
Twenty feet, forty, a hundred or more?
Brave to break my stricken awe,
I march forward, step into that whirling riot,
Whipped about by leaves like gnats
Hair sucked up, pulled on end,
Rush of air through hair on arms,
Tingling spine and crawling on my neck’s nape.
May I not be torn aloft by tornado,
But this, the weaker cousin, shows me,
Gently, what’s at work with twisters.
And so I raise my arms and close my eyes,
A crucifix in the swirl of whirling wind.
A moral moment? An epiphany?
An alternate reality?
A certain serendipity
Whose import is made more plain to me
Some distant days ahead?
I leave the eye of that dustless dust devil
And pause to watch its passing over soft golden grass
To cross the asphalt hardness of the street.
Those leaves still ride the carousel of wind,
They merry-go-round,
Climb higher in that clear column.
This leaf-devil wends away from me
And my thoughts return to this dull world
To muse on Nature’s serendipity
And learn the godly lesson this devil taught to me.
A BRIEF VISIT, 1924
All that remains of you, old man,
Is a black/white photo from about 1924,
Squinting in the sun,
Sporty fedora in gloved left hand,
Right foot on the running board
Of a rag-top truck, balloon-tired,
Light overcoat over dark suit and
Wearing a tie,
Looking quite dapper.
The head of your foresaken wife's shadow
Bites your heel.
She caught you in this photo –
Indeed, the only way she could catch you –
As you were in life, ready to run, leave behind your wife,
With two little girls, for your other life
Where she – and they – were not wanted.
“OK,” you said, “if you want to remember
My handsome looks, perhaps for the lawyer,
Here I am, hat in hand,
But not for long. Now leave me alone.”
And so you left, forever, for good.
And what you left behind were a spurned wife
And two little girls, one a toddler and a newborn other.
The latter my aunt, the former my mother.
To another life you went, to another wife you went,
The next one apparently better than the first.
This lone photo is all that remains of you
In this family….[To Tim Banks;]
On the Art of Psyching Out
A Fable
Once upon a time there was
A hill under the sky,
And at its top there came to rest
A blue- and a green-bottle fly.
The Blue-bottle fly said to the Green,
As he spun out his net,
“I make you see what I seem,
That and only that.
For instance, as I weave this web—
An imaginary map—
If you should move just a step
I’ve got you in my trap.”
“Ah,” said the Green, “you must think
My mind a piece of clay,
That you can mold it to anything
That you please to say.”
“So you tell me that you see
In all things Truth—the Straight?
And thus it just appears to be
That my legs are eight?
Count them—do you see but six?
Though I should say they’re eight?
Come now, you can see through tricks,
You can tell things straight.
And this strand I wrap you in
You know’s not truly there—
You may feel tightness on your limbs,
But it’s really only air?”
The Green-bottle fly is filled with doubt
As he totals up the legs;
And he labors to get himself out,
And now in fear he begs:
“You, you are a spider—you are no fly,
And I—I am doomed.”
His foe raised up his legs on high,
And his Fate much nearer loomed.
But as Blue dove down for the bite
He earned by trickery,
He sliced instead but through the “cords,”
And gave Green his liberty.
With a shriek of thankful glee
The Green-bottle fly, he fled,
Praising the Fates for freeing him
From out the mouth of Death.
The Blue-bottle fly, with legs of six,
A little tune he sung,
As he settled down ALONE, the king
Of a little mound of dung.
—Dale W. Simpson
March 11, 1978
[transcribed on March 11, 2021, 43 years later]
3. HIGH SCHOOL ERA POEMS
THE
SPIDER
Hail
to thee, o little spider!
See
that girl? Hang down and bite her!
She
is mean, but do not fear.
She knows
not that you are near.
I
loved her, but she loved Bobby,
Ken,
Sam, Bill, Ron, and Robby.
What
chance had I, o little spider?
Won’t
you please hang down and bite her?
The
deed is done, o little spider.
At
last you did hang down and bite her.
But
she’s so still, o spider so little.
How
could I know you were a black widow?
JOHNNY BE GOOD
Johnny
is a good boy,
a good
boy strong and true.
And
everything that bad boys do,
Johnny
doesn’t do.
Johnny
goes to school,
he
studies hard all day.
We
bad boys know nothing,
but
he has much to say.
Johnny
minds his parents,
he
never throws a fit.
We
bad boys get spanked all day,
but
he’s never once been hit.
Johnny
cleans his room,
he
makes it nice and clean.
Johnny
always has been good,
he’s
never once been mean.
Oh,
that Johnny is so spotless,
he
is so clean and nice,
I’ve
seen my folks sigh over him,
they
think he’s Jesus Christ!
That’s
what was said about him,
up
until today.
Things
have changed around here
since
ol’ Johnny passed away.
‘Cause
we bad boys got together,
and
so, what the heck?
Now
everybody’s happy
since
we broke ol’ Johnny’s neck!
THE GOOD KID
The
kiddies in my neighborhood are very, very bad.
Because
of what they do, it makes me very sad.
My
mommy tells me, “Stay in, for out you cannot go.”
I
cry and scream and rave, but it doesn’t help me though.
The
kiddies fight and steal, and write dirty words on walls.
They cheat, they lie, kick teachers, cuss up and down the halls.
They cheat, they lie, kick teachers, cuss up and down the halls.
My
daddy warns me and makes me stay inside.
“If
you run around with them, young man, I’ll really tan your hide!”
So I
stayed a good kid, until late last night,
When
mommy and daddy and me got in a great big fight.
And
on to bed they went, lay down then to retire.
And
after they had gone to sleep, I started up a fire.
And
out the house I ran and watched the flames rise high.
But
when the neighbors came outside, I then began to cry,
“My
mommy and daddy are caught inside!” I acted as best I could.
But
turned away to smile, while watching the burning wood.
So
now I play outside every single day.
And
when I ask my aunt to go, she says, “Yes, you may!”
And
she is proud of me as she sets me on her knee,
And
says she wishes other kids
were
just as good as me.
T.P.
It’s
nice and gentle to your rear;
It
keeps it from a great big smear.
If
you’re not careful, it will rip,
And
through it your hand will slip.
So take
care with it, and then
You
will love your new Charmin.
4. Mature Poetry
TWO SHIPS PASSING IN THE NIGHT….
[in the voice of the narrator]
I saw him come, but then then too late
To make my path some other way,
And as our distance closed in time
I fumbled for some word to say.
And now he’s only five feet off
And now before he passes by
I plant a smile upon my face.
My voice is shaking, and I say “Hi!”
He looks into my face with eyes
Which, aged though young, have seen my state,
And scans my soul with just that glance,
And concludes that look with hate.
And so he’s passed without one word,
While my mind screams out this yell,
Although my mouth, for fear, stays put:
“Why, that nigger can go to hell!”
THE HALL OF THE SUNS
The graced the galaxies
Whose stars bowed down to them.
And start to distant star
A hop-scotch game they played.
Their race was spread across the vast expanse,
It was their attempt to span the universe.
As eons and ages flashed on by,
There always came news
Of another victory
Countless light years away.
A little planet
Whose roar the universe heard,
Listened to, and laughed.
Men with wander-lust disease
Whose goal it was to conquer worlds
And leave their seed to grow anew.
Whose goal it was to own all worlds
Within the universe.
If that can be bounded.
In the Hall of the Suns
Great heroes of battle
Brought trophies and received in kind
From their war-lord rulers,
And always arose a tumultuous shout
“Great is our world, and ruler of all
Whom none can surpass in all of the universe.”
And countless thousands of times
Throughout generations
For thousands of years
The news was received
Of another world conquest
And great was the shouting
And proud celebration
And many did covet
The chance to be One
Of the conquering Heroes
Of light-year space travel.
The ships were sent out
On missions of conquest,
Patrolling the Vastness
For new worlds to conquer
Far ages of time from their homeland.
And chasing down worlds
More distant that the last
Always one more out farther in star-land
Till home was but a fading memory.
As time passed by for the homeland dwellers
Changes were wrought most gradually on
Till family and friends had faded to dust
Not to be seen by their wandering sons
Ever again.
Generations passed the ward-lording pride
If nothing else; while philosophers died.
And always a returning ship with good news—
Though centuries removed from the present world
Was greeted by cheers of triumph
And presentations in the Hall of Suns
Until that great edifice held no room
For more trophies and specimens of worlds uncounted.
And such was the grandeur this planet had known.
……………………………………………………
In course of their wanderings through endless space,
And farthest removed from homeland and people
They met their match, a shadowy planet,
And lost for once a battle in space.
And not just a battle, for fierce was the foe
That sought and destroyed from planet to planet
The once haughty warriors who stood tall and fell.
That soon the boundaries of space had subsided
And beaten far back from world after world
The war-lords’ fine spaceships met fiery destruction
As nothing they had could forestall their foes.
And soon their race disappeared from the planets
And soon the planets they held were now lost.
And soon the battle raged near to the homeland
As warships dispatched were lost in the battles.
The fighting was fiercest in the skies of their own planet
As death and destruction and doom descended.
And there in the Hall of Suns was the ending
Where once haughty war-lords now begged on their knees
To salvage their home-world, at least, of them all
While the vanquishers stood in their shadowed clothing
Mysterious men holding doom in their hands
That broke a race of people, destroying their empire
And now spoke their mandate on that fateful of days,
In the Hall of the Suns,
“You never again shall go forth from your planet
Not even for reasons scientific in nature
And this shall be under pain of destruction
Of your little world and all that is left,
For we live in peace on our world far away
And expect the universe to grow naturally.
And never again will the cancer of conquest
Upset the balance that is set in the vastness,
For when the first sign that you have gone forth
Is received to us, then we will return
And end your wretched, lusting race,
Your fate we leave to you, for we go now.”
……………………………………………
And after this the skies were empty
And the little world began as life anew.
The Hall of Suns stood in decay.
No human would venture within its sight.
As age rotted stone and short memory,
And all was quiet and peaceful from then on.
A little planet
Whose roar the universe heard;
Listened to and laughed.
The End
[Dale Simpson, November 1968]
POEMS FOUND IN OLD NOTEBOOKS
1.
You who ask which way to turn
As you find yourselves
Standing
At the crossroads
You designed in your minds,
You know
No candle at both ends
Burns
Too long
Before…. 2/16/73
2.
One night it left
As silent as it came
One day long (thought) past.
What it was—I never knew.
I did not know it was within
Until it left—
Disgusted, willful, or fleeing
I know not—
And yet, I know I lost
A non-defined essential.
The almost-imperceptible void
It left—concentrate of black
In a vacuum of darkness—
Dark nebulae in inner space. 4/12/73
3.
Fiery-flaming drop of eternal energy
Before my eyes and in my mind I see,
Freeze me, contemplate I, meditate me,
Pierce me, pierce you—
Burning fiery flame.
I swallowed, consumed I am
I have communed,
And for one infinit moment
I ne’er was, nor will ever be,
But I AM. 4/9/75
Desks at School
Thirty-three they repose
With gaping jaws eternally open—
A stupid wide-eyed grin
Frozen on their empty faces—
At once the mouth of knowledge
And seat of perception
Perhaps as vacuous now
As they have ever been,
Each one a measure of minds
That measured all the ventures
That counted but as loss.
The windows, ope’d for ventilation,
Were ope’d for frenzied escapation
(as if their closing would enhance
An idea’s dying chance
To plant itself within a mind—
Instead—borne upon a wind.)
In a classroom full of gaping seats
And students armed with youthful minds,
The greatest, one finds,
Knowledge-hoard of all
Is the quiet, wise, and unassuming wall.
And it may not be fair
That year after year it has to be there.
[undated but sometime in the 1971-72 school year at Kensett School]
SEVEN OCCASIONAL POEMS
I
My lord, a message came to me
From far beyond the seventh sea
Tickling my mind
No rest to find
Then
Fluttered it away on a breeze.
II
A man will weep o’er a woolen suit.
Ah, see how he weeps!
No sharp suit
But a bitter weep,
While one will cry o’er the sheep.
III
The world and me
Split company
If only for a day
And while gone
I enjoyed my stay.
Returned—
The world was the same old way
And all that was gained
Was a day that was lost.
IV
“Put a rider on this horse,” he said,
“And the world will bow at his feet.”
I looked to see the horse a-mount, but
Deciding I had a train to meet,
I sidled out into the street,
Leaving horses and jockies
To the powers that be.
V
If I could reach into the heavens
And pull down the stars
To make a crown for you
What more would you want me to do?
If I could gather the winds together
Leaving only fair weather,
Would that be all I would do for you?
If I could command all nature’s realm
And it be so, whatever I said,
If I could heal the sick, raise the dead,
Would that be enough to do?
My call resounds and echoes
Through the speaking universe.
Hear, and learn of life.
What, indeed, can I do?
VI
A river-rage, a swallowing sea
The thunder and flashes round about me
Wind without pity,
My life a prey to wreck and ruin.
VII
Come together,
He said
Join in ecstasy
Feel the joys of being free
Cleave fast to each other’s breasts
Sleep the sleep of eternal rest
Love is
The eternal breast.
VII
Scatter, thoughts, to the seven winds
Glide where the breezes carry
See, you travel endlessly
Never slow, never tarry.
From wind to wind
Direction seeming, then up again!
The Way
What is The Way?
Who can tell The Way?
Show me The Way of the Lord
And I will follow the Way
That my way and Hi
Be but one Way
Until the end.
All of life is but following
One way or another,
Seeking The Way.
All seek, but few will find
Though all will follow a way or another.
Chicks at the Dump
Baby chicks cheeping, squeaking
Stumbling in an egg-pile
To the dump sent by
The hatchery
To burn, consumed by flame
Consigned to the air,
To the dust.
Egg shells
(They must have fed an army, I thought)
Do not a mountain make
But at the town dump.
And amongst the charred junk
And about-to-be-charred junk
Crying squeaking, cheeping
Newly-born and fuzzy-furred
Chicks fall, stumbling.
Crying for Momma,
The fire in their hearts
Soon giving way to the fire
Of the city dump. 1/28/1971
A Day in the Life
A day in the life of a child of sin
Passes, repasses, and passes again
Before the eyes of a dying soul
Whose heart was replaced
By a gaping hole.
Your vacant eyes and lifeless form
Betray the ice beneath the warm.
A Sea
A sea there be
Twixt you and me
You on the far shore shout your claim:
“I never again will name the name
Of he who waits on yonder shore.
Let me hear his name no more.”
And you will have your wish, oh fair,
I’ll drop the name I now declare
And evermore I’ll nameless be
For your return to me. 12/3/1969
My Brother’s Face
My brother’s face before me;
My brother’s face.
A saved race—
We are a saved race.
This is our communion
This is our union
In Christ, in us—
We find strength.
We eat this bread
His flesh
We drink this cup
His blood.
This is his body, his blood—
We are his body,
The life-giving flow
Quickens the body.
Rejoice—here is his body.
By faith
We are his body in spirit
And in flesh.
Commune.
[12/18/1974]
We kill what we vivisect.
Especially religion.
[2/2/1975]
The Shekinah
What is this blazing fire before me,
This hallowed ground I cannot touch?
It I cannot see with eyes,
But feel it much.
It goes before to show the way….
Two More from My A-B Notebook
I
The blowing angrily in the wind furious dust
Punishes from West Texas
We who greenly lounge in seeming Paradise,
Sipping cokes and talking
Hopkins in Wordsworthian Sonnets—
our Prelude to Existence real in an
Assumed imaginary world.
Break the spell, ye dust of hell!
II
The cracked porches and sidewalks of our life
Laid once perfect to the concrete man
Pitted, gouged, and cracked now
With much (or little) use.
[undated, but probably mid-70’s in
Denton]

No comments:
Post a Comment